Friday 26 June 2009

Artistic Practice










You can very often destroy the experience of something you create by describing it too accurately. By understanding the work you destroy the part the process of discovering the system inside the work. I resist the temptation to define my work; it is not possible to translate every point behind my work into language. It is not a matter for myself to define the terms of my work; I wish to communicate the source and inspiration behind the work.

My works deal with the study of memory. The relationship between human beings and objects, the connection from one to another. As an artist I believe it is my role to question and interpret the actuality of these moments. To communicate the facts, to gauge the emotional impact my work will have on the viewer. What is becoming apparent through my research and within my practice is an interest in rhythm, repetition and movement. Self-position, the space surrounding the individual.

Memories, absence and fleeting presence intrigue me. These moments are important everyday occurrences that mould the individual. I am interested in the point at which the awareness of others is reciprocated. Where memory becomes self-recognition to a sequence of unfolding events. I am trying to work with ideas that can be communicated on the basis that we use mass culture information stored in our memory to interpret our own position in the present. In my current work, I set-out to question people, habits and repetition by combining works of photography, language and documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment